BYOD SYSTEM RECOMMENDATIONS
*Please keep in mind: Technology is typically outdated after 3-5 years. Our recommendations are based on basic school-related performance levels.
Gateway CPS BYOD System Recommendations – Required for students in grades 5 and up
These specifications should work for most grade levels and classes; however, secondary electives such as Computer Science may have additional system requirements.
● Processor (CPU) - Recommend: Intel Core i5 / AMD A6 or better; minimum: Intel Core i3 or equivalent
● RAM - recommend: 8GB to 16GB; 4GB minimum
● Storage - recommend: 250GB or larger SSD (solid state drive); minimum: 250GB HDD (hard drive)
● Wi-Fi Adapter - Wi-Fi connectivity is required. 802.11a/b/g/n or 802.11ac/b/g/n recommended
● Multimedia capable - sound, mic, webcam are recommended
● Graphics card
● Browser: Google Chrome required, plus one more such as Safari or Firefox
● Anti-virus software installed - Malwarebytes is the highest recommended, (AVG, AVAST, Kaspersky, Bitdenfender, Windows Defender & Sophos are free, but it is highly recommended to purchase more comprehensive software)
● Chromebooks are acceptable, but may not meet requirements for some higher grade level courses.
● iPads and other tablets present limitations and are not suitable for our learning environment.
● Accidental coverage is recommended.
● Microsoft Office is not required.
● Charger/Power Adapter for computer (required for 5th/6th)
● Computer with Keyboard (built in or detached, required for 5th/6th)
● Earbuds/headphones (required for 5th/6th)
● Computer & Charger must be labeled with first and last name (required for 5th/6th)
● Windows computers should be set to update outside of school hours.
● Access to a printer throughout the school year
● Lightweight is better to lighten the weight of backpacks.
● We do not recommend a particular computer brand. When shopping for a new device, look at the specs and customer reviews to know what you are buying.